Software Development Manager
An exciting opportunity exists for a Software Development Manager at Brolink in Centurion.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Software Development Manager’s role is to plan, coordinate and supervise activities related to the design, development, testing, implementation and maintenance of application software and setup parameters at Brolink.
• As a member of the senior management team participate in planning changes to technology;
• Encourage innovation;
• Actively support the transformation towards agile;
• Participate in prioritising and allocating outstanding work;
• Ensure good collaboration through effective communication among various stakeholders;
• Ensure on-time delivery of projects in cooperation with project managers;
• Ensure that business-as-usual requests and incidents are completed on time and according to requirements in cooperation with the Business Support team;
• Ensure that service levels are met insofar as these are under the control of the teams concerned;
• Participate in troubleshooting of incidents;
• Interact with vendors and technical teams of our customers whose systems integrate with Websure;
• Oversee task estimations which serve as input to project planning and quotations;
• Enforce standards, policies and processes, and ensure that audit findings are properly addressed insofar as they relate to application software;
• Keep current with trends in the IT industry;
• Perform common line management functions including leadership, motivation, maintenance of an appropriate organisational structure, staff development, retention, recruitment (in conjunction with HR), leave planning and approvals, performance appraisals, timesheet approvals and dealing with general staff issues;
• Resolve conflict as may arise from time to time in connection with roles, technical design, priorities, resource allocation etc.
• The Software Development Manager will report directly to the Executive Head: Software Development and Projects
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
• “On call” availability via phone, SMS or WhatsApp;
• Frequent after-hour work in the evenings and on weekends, for example to attend to outstanding matters, to deal with urgent incidents, to oversee month end balancing or to participate in project deployments. Some of these activities can be performed remotely and others need to be performed from the office;
• Frequent travel to Gauteng-based customers and business partners;
• Open plan office.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• A Honours degree majoring in subjects related to Information Technology or Computer Science;
• At least a theoretical knowledge of programming languages as evidenced by appropriate degrees or certification.
Preferably the following in addition to the above:
• Certificates and/ or diplomas related to financial services and preferably short-term insurance;
• Training in management, including project management and specifically agile methodologies;
• Training in other business subjects, e.g. Accounting.
• Five years working experience in an IT environment meeting the following criteria:
o Financial services industry;
o Hands-on involvement in a financial transaction processing systems;
o At least ten in-house software developers reporting into the position, possibly with some authority delegated to team leaders.
• At least ten years hands-on software development experience;
• At least two years exposure to the short-term insurance industry
• Demonstrable knowledge of software development life cycle models;
• Good knowledge of technology environments, including programming, hardware platforms, networks, telecommunications, and operations;
• Strong appreciation of information security concepts.
Preferably in addition to the above:
• Excellent knowledge of toolsets to support software development, including automated test tools and source code management;
• In-depth knowledge of C# and SQL Server.
Attributes required for the position include and are not limited to:
• Proven ability to lead people, develop staff, build relationships and handle diversity
• Truthfulness in dealing with issues that impede competitiveness/ efficiency/ effectiveness
• A flair for numbers and ability to check financial reports for correctness/ reasonableness
• Ability to prioritise and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
• Collaborative approach and ability to maintain strong personal relationships at all levels
• Willingness to learn continuously plus a keen interest in keeping up-to-date with trends in general information technology and specifically InsurTech
• Innovative approach to problem solving
• Excellent ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language
• Ability to understand business issues related to the financial services industry and to deliver solutions accordingly.
• Keen attention to detail.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Brolink is a leading provider of insurance administration services, providing a comprehensive range of insurance products from South Africa’s top insurers. Our portfolio includes personal insurance, commercial insurance as well as niche products such as agriculture, transport, engineering, and aviation.
As a short-term insurance administrator, Brolink provides a dedicated service to professional brokers in delivering on their clients’ business or professional insurance needs.
Applicants must have the following:
• Clear ITC
• Clear criminal record
• Excellent previous employment references.
Our values are Excellence, Integrity, Fairness.
Our Vision is to be the leading digital technology and integration platform for short-term insurance.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply by sending a CV to: HumanResources@brolink.co.za before 17 November 2023.
Please note that this appointment will be made according to the company’s Employment Equity targets and strategy. Provided you are not contacted within 2 weeks of job application deadline, please consider your application unsuccessful.