Underwriting Manager : Personal Lines
An exciting opportunity exists for a Personal Lines Underwriting Manager to join the Underwriting Department. The successful incumbent will be responsible for the operational management of short-term insurance portfolios, underwriting and Personal Lines products. This position is based in Centurion.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful applicant will join the Underwriting Management Team and will be responsible for the overall management of the team including the following key responsibility areas:
Increase overall profitability of the company
• Manage operational cost in department/s
• Maintaining profitable loss ratios
• New business and budget growth
• Achieve strategic results
Stakeholder relationship management
• Liaise with internal and external stakeholders with aim of building and maintaining relationships
• Brand ambassadorship – ensuring that the Brolink brand is positioned positively in the market
Management of Operational and Internal processes
• Complaints management and Treating Customers Fairly
• Mandate management
• Manage effective underwriting activities and ensure appropriate processes on various schemes
• Manage Reactive Department to ensure improved/ efficient portfolio performance
• Oversee allocation of resources
• Various meetings
Oversee special projects
• Manage staff component to deal with Special Projects
• Oversee the effective execution of deliverables
• Champion change management as may be required
Oversee employee engagement and performance
• Manage staff
• Ensure motivated and retained staff
• Actively train and develop staff (guidance, mentoring and formal training)
• Effective management of employee relations
• General people management administration – e.g. leave and disciplinary processes
• Create positive energy amongst team
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Matric (Grade 12)
• English (read, write, speak)
• FAIS Fit and Proper for Personal lines product categories (RE 5 and credits/full qualification). Must not work under FAIS supervision.
• NQF5 or higher qualification (preferred)
• Relevant Tertiary Qualification (optional)
• 7 years working experience in short term insurance at a broker, insurer, or administrator.
In addition to the above:
• At least 3 years in Underwriting dealing with personal lines products; and
• At least 3 years in an Underwriting Management/Supervisory position overseeing an operational team.
• Knowledge of the South African Financial Sector with a specific focus on Short term Insurance
• Knowledge and understanding of legal requirements of the insurance industry
• Knowledge, understanding and interpretation of short-term insurance products
• Understanding of portfolio management principles
• Interpretation of relevant management information
• Competent to use insurance policy administration systems and applications
• Microsoft Office products skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Excellent understanding of generic underwriting rules and products
• Must be able to make sound underwriting decisions
• Must be able to handle escalated matters as assigned to the position
Attributes required for the position include but are not limited to:
• Excellent people management skills
• Building and maintaining relationships (internal & external)
• Strong problem-solving and decision-making ability
• Action orientation
• Able to work with a high performing team
• Quality orientation
• Excellent communication skills (verbal & written)
• Computer literacy
• Presentation skills
• Conflict management
• Stress tolerance
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Brolink is a leading provider of insurance administration services, providing a comprehensive range of insurance products from South Africa’s top insurers. Our portfolio includes personal insurance, commercial insurance as well as niche products such as agriculture, transport, engineering, and aviation.
As a short-term insurance administrator, Brolink provides a dedicated service to professional brokers in delivering on their clients’ business or professional insurance needs.
Applicants must have the following:
• Clear ITC
• Clear criminal record
• Excellent previous employment references.
Our values are Excellence, Integrity, Fairness.
Our vision is to be the leading digital technology and integration platform for short-term insurance.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply by sending a CV to: HumanResources@brolink.co.za before 30 August 2023.
Please note that this appointment will be made according to the company’s Employment Equity targets and strategy. Provided you are not contacted within 2 weeks of job application deadline, please consider your application unsuccessful.